Creating the Most Responsible Food Professionals in Higher Education
Every day, we see the hard work and dedication students around the country put into improving their skillset and growing as individuals. Inspired by their example, we’ve made it a goal to educate our people and guide them to become the most responsible food professionals in higher education. The latest effort towards this is enrolling our campus leaders in the Worldchefs Sustainability Education for Culinary Professionals course.
The Worldchefs Sustainability Class focuses on a responsible and sustainable food culture that impacts the way people eat and live today while being mindful of future generations. Aligned with the United Nation’s 2020 Sustainable Development Goals, the curriculum focuses on responsible chefs who understand the significant impact small decisions can make. It includes culinary commitments that amplify these world sustainability standards, such as:
- Additive-Free Ingredients – ingredients free of chemicals, antibiotics, and food additives.
- Responsibly-Sourced Products – Meeting third-party certification and social impact guidelines, such as animal welfare, rainforest alliance, fair trade, and certified organic.
- A Commitment to Local – using products from within the local economy to promote a cleaner and stronger community.
- Scratch Cooking – Homemade beats pre-made every time, and it’s healthier for you too!
- Nutritionally Balanced – Registered dietitians work with our chefs to establish healthy menus for variety, health, and flavor while educating the students about the purpose of the foods they eat.
“Cooks know how, but chefs know why.” Our goal is to ensure everyone in the kitchen knows why to better your dining experience while improving the global eco structure. We want all of our team working towards a better, holistic food world, from whole animal utilization to the impact of thawing products in the refrigerator instead of running water.
Worldchefs Sustainability Courses will be scaled across the entire Harvest Table organization, including leaders from each of our partner schools and members of the Harvest Table Leadership team. We look forward to sharing more with you as we continue our sustainability journey!